What is PV solar panel installation?
PV solar panel installation is installing solar panels on roofs to reduce a home or business’s energy bills.
What do you need to know about PV solar panel installation?
The stages of getting solar panels installed are as follows:
- Initial consultation
- Proposal/System Design
- DNO Application
- Scaffolding erection at your home/business
- Install mounting/brackets on the roof
- Attach PV panels to the brackets
- Install the inverter and battery
- Finish wiring the whole system together
- Show you the basics of your system and install any relevant energy apps on your smartphone or tablet
How much money could you save with PV solar panel installation?
The amount of money solar panels can save you will vary depending on your energy usage and the number of panels you have.
Here are some key points to consider:
- You’ll save a lot more money if you install your solar panels on a South facing roof VS an East or West facing roof
- A North facing roof in the UK is unlikely to net you a very good return on investment
- You’ll save more money if you’re on an energy tariff that pays you well for your exports
- The amount of money your solar system will cost will depend on the type of panels you get and also whether or not you get a battery
- You’ll reach your return on investment point sooner by using more solar energy and buying less energy from the grid, so switch to using your appliances in the day rather than in the evening when the sun is down
- Your energy bill will never end, however, once you’ve reached your return on investment point with solar panels, you’ll receive years of benefits with solar panels
- If you plan on moving house in the next few years, it might not always be worth installing solar panels where you are currently. On the other hand, solar panels do increase the value of your house, so it depends on how long you plan to be in your home for
What are the different types of PV solar panel installation?
There are domestic and commercial solar PV installations. Generally, domestic and commercial solar installations use the same type of panels. Commercial solar installations may have much larger batteries installed than domestic jobs. Commercial solar panels are also much more likely to involve mounting for flat roofs.
There are a few possible differences to do with the type of solar panel, inverter, or battery that you opt for.
There are different sizes of panels, inverters, batteries, and also different brands.
For reliable hardware and long warranties, always choose a solar product that is MCS accredited.
Benefits of solar energy
PV solar panel installation is a process of installing photovoltaic panels on rooftops. Photovoltaic panels are usually installed in the form of modules and mounted to the rooftop. The module consists of silicon wafers, which convert sunlight into electricity using semiconductors. There are two types of PV systems: grid-connected and off-grid systems. In a grid-connected system, energy generated by the PV system is fed back into the electric power grid while in off-grid system energy generated by the PV system is used directly for domestic purposes such as lighting or charging appliances.
PV solar installation requires you to have a decent amount of roof space. We suggest a minimum of around 5m x 5m for an 8-panel system. A system can be spread over a roof and around windows/skylights with the help of optimisers.
What happens after PV solar panel installation?
After your solar panels are installed, you don’t need to worry about much. Your panels will generate electricity and rain will take care of any dust that settles on your panels.
We recommend getting your panels professionally cleaned once every few years just to make sure that there is no debris built up that might block any light being received by your panels.
Once your panels are installed, you can also apply to the SEG scheme. The SEG scheme allows you to get paid for your exports.
Your system will have a warranty of around 20-25 years. Your inverter has a slightly shorter warranty of around 10-12.